Francis Cassatt Clopper built a church for his wife, Ann Jane Byrne, a Catholic. Constructed around 1836, the original church building was destroyed by a fire in 1883. It was immediately re-built and this is the church we see today. The cornerstone from the original 1836 church is still there. Saint Rose of Lima became a parish in 1972, approximately 160 years after Francis Clopper and his wife, Ann, came to the area.