In 1947 Bill Norman opened Gaithersburg Lumber & Supply Company along route 355. Over the years this site, as well as the business, grew tremendously. In 1985 this entire site was demolished to make way for the Frederick Avenue bridge over the railroad tracks. Gaithersburg Lumber moved to the other side of 355, just a few hundred yards away, and changed their name to Barron's Lumber. The building with the red roof in the background was the ice house. Click here for more old photographs of Gaithersburg Lumber.