Gaithersburg

On May 20, 1905 all stores in Gaithersburg were closed for the laying of the cornerstone of the new Methodist Episcopal Church South, called Grace Methodist. The young ladies of Grace Church formed a fund-raising club for church improvement and were quite successful. The young ladies' efforts were memorialized in a large bronze bell at the top of the tower. The bell was so heavy that it took two teams of horses using a rope and pulley to set it up in the tower.