These photographs essentially mark the spot where Gaithersburg began. In the mid 1750’s Henry B. Brookes amassed a large plantation of more than 1,000 acres. His son-in-law Benjamin Gaither settled on his wife’s dower property near the intersection of present-day Diamond and Frederick Avenues before 1800. Gaither started a blacksmith shop, store, and tavern to serve travelers and locals. His crossroads enterprise became known as Gaithersburg.