Gaithersburg

Gaithersburg City Hall was once the home of Edward P. Schwartz. In 1913 Mr. Schwartz planted a peony garden on this land that stretched from the railroad station to Hutton Street. At the time it was the largest peony collection in the world. The City purchased the estate in 1958 and renovated the house for municipal offices and the peony garden was later moved to Seneca Creek State Park, where it barely survives today.