The Fulks family have been part of Gaithersburg's history since the 1760s. Thomas Fulks was a prominent businessman, farmer and Gaithersburg politician. His house, located at 208 South Frederick Avenue, is a well-preserved example of late 19th century architecture and has undergone very little exterior alteration since the turn of the century. The photograph on the left was taken in 1897. "COMMENTS"
King Pontiac was located at 312 East Diamond Avenue in the 1960s. W. Lawson King also owned a number of retail establishments in "Old Towne" Gaithersburg, including most of the block containing Diamond Drug, as well as many farms in Montgomery County. He was called "Mr. Gaithersburg" both for his business and personal interests in the town's welfare. "COMMENTS"
This building, a former residence that had been adapted to office and retail use many years ago, is located at 441 North Frederick Avenue, between Odend Hall and Montgomery Avenue. "COMMENTS"
Gaithersburg's original post office, established around 1850, was called the Forest Oak Post Office. It was located inside Gaither's Store, which stood near the famous Forest Oak tree (next to present-day Roy's Place). The Post Office was moved around a few times and in 1960, eventually ended up at 21 South Summit Avenue. "COMMENTS"
The Forest Oak tree witnessed much change along the "great road west" (Frederick Avenue). The tree saw famous men such as George Washington and Edward Braddock traveling between Georgetown and Frederick, Union and Confederate forces during the Civil War and many settlers moving west. It watched transportation change from stagecoaches to high-speed automobile traffic, and it saw the crossroads tavern and store grow into the commercial development of the modern era. In the summer of 1997, this natural landmark, which had become the city's official logo, was uprooted in a storm. "COMMENTS"