Gaithersburg
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

 

historic grace church
grace methodist church

On May 20, 1905 all stores in Gaithersburg were closed for the laying of the cornerstone of the new Methodist Episcopal Church South, called Grace Methodist. The young ladies of Grace Church formed a fund-raising club for church improvement and were quite successful. The young ladies' efforts were memorialized in a large bronze bell at the top of the tower. The bell was so heavy that it took two teams of horses using a rope and pulley to set it up in the tower. The photo on the left was taken circa 1906. "COMMENTS"

 

 

grace church in gaithersburg
grace church bell tower

Grace Methodist Church, then & now. Click here to view my photos from the bell tower.

 

saint rose of lima on clopper road
st. rose of lima catholic church

Francis Cassatt Clopper built a church for his wife, Ann Jane Byrne, a Catholic. Constructed around 1836, the original church building was destroyed by a fire in 1883. It was immediately re-built and this is the church we see today. The cornerstone from the original 1836 church is still there. Saint Rose of Lima became a parish in 1972, approximately 160 years after Francis Clopper and his wife, Ann, came to the area. "COMMENTS"

 

 

mcdonald chapel church in quince orchard
bank of america on quince orchard road

McDonald Chapel was built in 1899 under the direction of Rev. William A. McDonald, for whom it was named. It was located at the corner of Route 28 and Quince Orchard Road. This was one of many old frame churches lost to development during the 1970's. The present building served as a local post office for many years until the Diamond Farms branch was built on Firstfield Road. "COMMENTS"

 

 

pleasant view church on darnestown road
pleasant view african american church

Pleasant View was begun by African-American Methodists in 1868 when Thomas Neverson, George W. Johnson, and Charles Beander bought land and an old building on Darnestown Road. The Pleasant View church was not built until 1888. By 1914 the church was in such poor condition that it was demolished and rebuilt, and this is the church we see today. "COMMENTS"

 

 

 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16